Spasticity is a muscle control disorder where there is tightness or stiffness of muscles and an inability to control those muscles. Additionally there may be reflexes that persist for too long and maybe too strong.
Spasticity is caused when there is an imbalance of signals from the central nervous system to the muscles. This imbalance is often found in people with cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, stroke, traumatic brain injury, and spinal cord injury.
Capital Pain and Rehabilitation Clinic is able to provide a number of evidence-based treatments for spasticity. These include:
- Botulinum toxin neurostimulator-controlled intramuscular injections;
- Phenol muscle motorpoint and neurolytic injections under neurostimulator control;
- Physical therapy programs to help reduce or stabilise the severity of symptoms and to improve functional performance;
- Mindfulness training to assist in stress and pain reduction;
- Pain counselling psychology to assist in the development of effective coping strategies;
- As well as remedial massage therapy, acupuncture, and diet and nutritional advice.